Friday, April 4, 2008

A place to document my Bikram journey...

I've been trying to get into yoga for about a year and a half because I want to control stress better as well as improve my flexibility. Yoga and I aren't really in a serious relationship yet. I successfully completed one intro series of classes (hatha at the Yoga Tree) and dropped out of two others (vinyasa at YogaLife and hatha at 8 Limbs.) It's Seattle so there's lots of yoga to choose from! I went to Bikram for the first time with a friend about 5 months ago. It seemed to click more than the other yoga classes did. I've been busy with being depressed about life (end of 2007) and half marathon training (beginning of 2008) so I've only been to a few Bikram classes since the first one. However my half marathon is in 9 days so after my race, I want to do a 30 day Bikram challenge. I haven't told my running trainer that yet... but I think I need the structure and challenge of Bikram yoga more than I need running right now. I feel like it's relevant to mention that I'm not actually a sporty person, but working out helped keep me sane in grad school and since then, I've been trying to get in better shape. I've been trying to turn to exercise instead of cupcakes over the past few months... with limited success. It hasn't totally worked but I am making changes.

Breakup of a long term relationship (4+ years) + significant birthday (30) + stress at work = gotta do something different because the old way just isn't working.

Soooo... that leads to my 30 day Bikram challenge which I'm thinking will start on April 15th. Until then, I'll probably post randomly about preparing for the challenge and strategizing on how I plan to fit 45 hours of yoga (30 x 90 minute class) into a one month period.

No comments: