Friday, July 2, 2010

Ups and downs

Life has been up and down lately. My yoga practice has been very occasional - maybe once or twice a week. Practiced last night and I could definitely tell that I had been out of the room for a while. I've been thinking about why I've been struggling to get on my mat. It has partly been a time issue - I would rather do things other than go to yoga before or after work. But it's also a nutrition issue I think. During my attempt at Bikram101, I got really run down and was cramping a lot. I don't cook that much and really don't eat that healthy. While I complain about the extra pounds I've packed on over the last few years, considering how much junk food I eat, I'm actually somewhat surprised that I'm not bigger. Doing lots of Bikram yoga tends to make me want savory, salty, crazy junk food even more. If I want to have a regular yoga practice, I need to focus on getting more healthy, real food into my diet. And maybe in the short term, protein shakes or Gatorade. I need to take better care of my body if I want my body to be able to do 90 minutes in the hot room on a daily or almost daily basis. Oh and I'm starting my half marathon training soon so that's another thing on my plate. But I'm excited about it and want to monitor my progress here on a more regular basis. I miss this blog and the Bikram blog/Twitter community!

No comments: